Thursday, November 18, 2010

Can't Get this off of my mind

Yesterday, I was watching the afternoon news like I usually do and this story came on. In the beginning they had not released names, so I had thought it was sad but did not think too much into it. Later they released the names of the victims and I learned that the student was someone I had gone to high school with and was in the same stake as me. It has made me think a lot about life and how short it can be. I can't even imagine how devastating it would be to lose my husband after only 11 months of marriage or to lose my son when he is only 25. My heart goes out to his family and wife. I wasn't good friends with David but we had classes together and knew each other through church activities and I haven't spoken to him in probably 6 years, but I can say that he was an extremely nice person to everyone. I don't think I ever heard a bad thing come out of his mouth. He knew the gospel through and through.
This has just really hit home with me and I can't seem to get it off of my mind. I am just deeply saddened for his family and wife. Please keep them in your prayers.

4 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Me too! I cried a little bit and squeezed Ty so tight I think he may have been turning blue. I have been praying for the family.

My mom was there when Sis. Whitney got the phone call from her D.I.L, she said it took a while for Susan to get what she was saying in her broken English. My mom said the ward/stake back home are doing anything and EVERYTHING that would possibly be needed for the Whitney's and are really being a superb support to the family.

Apparently the Medford Airport doesn't allow bodies to be flown in so they are looking for a way to get David home this weekend for a funeral there, they asked my parents if they could drive him but they wont be coming back until the following weekend and that is too long to wait. I wonder if any college students will be driving back for Thanksgiving that could bring him? Kind of creepy but actually really humbling at the same time right?

So sad and yes, especially devastating to his wife.

KaWheelers said...

When I heard the story and that the student was from UVU, I couldn't help but wonder if it was someone I knew.... I don't know him but it hit home a little harder when I saw that you knew him. It's so sad! We'll keep him and his family in our prayers!

The Neilsen Family said...

I feel the same exact way Christina. I couldn't help but cry and cry when I heard. My heart just broke for his family. I love the Whitneys and consider them great friends.

Hey Mickie,
My dad is taking care of that with his company. He said its the least he could do.

Christina said...

I cried too! It's still unbelievable to me. I keep thinking they are goingto say it was mistaken identity or something like that. I know that the ward and stake have jumped right in with help. It is amazing to see the out pouring of love from people from back home to their family.