Friday, February 11, 2011
Chicken Pox, REALLY?
So, Sunday I noticed this little spot on Kenadis head, but it seriously looked like a mole. I thought nothing of it and told Andrew we would just have the doctor look at it at her one year appointment (on the 22nd). Well, Monday there are a couple of red dots where her diaper hits on her belly. I didnt think anything of these because she has such sensitive skin that she has rashes appear like that often. Tuesday more spots. I call the doctors office and the nurse asks me if it looks like chicken pox. I told her that Ive never had chicken pox before so I dont really know what they look like but from pictures online I dont really think so. She asks me to bring her in so we can make sure. We see a different doctor then our usual one since our doctor was out of the office. He looks her over and says he thinks its just a viral rash and since she has such sensitive skin it is worse then it would be in another child. He says, if it were chicken pox she would have a fever and be more sick. Wednesday rolls around and all the spots look pretty much the same. Then Wednesday night we get a phone call from the Primary Presidency. Two kids in nursery (Andrews and my calling) have chicken pox. Well, Kenadi doesnt sleep at all that night. We just figure shes uncomfortable from these spots. Come Thursday morning she has TONS more. Poor girl they are all on her belly and back and nether regions (if you catch my drift). Im starting to worry that something more is going on. I call the doctors office again and talk to the nurse. She says I should probably bring her in and make sure there isnt something more going on. As soon as the nurse looks at her she says, "Im pretty sure those are chicken pox!!" She said I dont know why they didn't catch it on Tuesday. Another nurse looks at her and agrees. The doctor takes a look at her, "yep thats chicken pox!" He was extremely apologetic for not catching it the first time and me having to come all the way back down (we still go to Provo for our pediatrician, I like him a lot! Plus the nursing staff doesn't make me feel dumb for calling every other day about spots!) Anyways, he prescribed her an antiviral medication to help prevent more crops of spots from coming and also a cream in case any of the spots get infected. Thankfully Kenadi has been really good. For the most part you wouldn't know she was sick other than the spots. She has had a light fever off and on but other than that thats it. She also hasn't really been scratching at them. She started picking at some in the crease of her arm but that was fixed by covering it with a bandaid. Hopefully she wont have any scars on her pretty little face. Thankfully Andrews already had them and Jackson and I have both been vaccinated. Oh and by the way, my doctor was surprised at there being a chicken pox outbreak since now the chicken pox vaccine is part of the schedule at 1 years old (1 month later and Kenadi would have been vaccinated). He said that most likely a child came into contact with someone who had shingles, got chicken pox and passed it onto Kenadi and the 2 other kids in nursery. It sucks, especially since Ive never dealt with it before (none of my siblings ever had it, the doctor thinks we were naturally immune to it but we have all had the vaccine to make sure) I don't know whats most comforting. Thankfully we are on day 5 and most places say this should be the last day of new spots appearing- I hope that holds true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment