Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Another addition to why pregnancy is not my thing

Well, yesterday I had a non stress test appointment again. Basically just to make sure Jackson is fine. Well, he was doing fine and my blood pressure was doing fine but my heartrate was so high! When I was first there it was 151, then went down to about 113 then back up to 136. This was all within an hour with me just sitting there doing nothing. That combined with the fact that I hadn't been feeling well since Sunday made the nurse call my Dr. They were both really concerned about why my heartrate would be acting like I was running a marathon. So what did I get to do? Go to Labor and Delivery for monitoring. So my half hour trip turned into a full day at Labor and Delivery. When I got over to Labor and Delivery they hooked me up to the monitors again and also had a blood pressure cuff and a heartrate/oxygen monitor on my finger. My dr came in (one of the great things of having your drs office right behind the hospital) to check on me. She seemed completely baffled as to what was going on with me. So she listened to my chest and back and everything was clear. So more labs for me! They took some blood (thank goodness it was not the same phlebotomist as last time because the last one bruised me bad!!!) Anyways and they took a urine sample, and had an EKG done. I had never had an EKG done and did not know what to expect. For some reason I thought that it was a whole ordeal and took a long time, but that is not so. They put little patches on my ankles, wrists, and the left side of my chest and then I just had to lie still for like 30 seconds and it was over! Crazy! Anyways, after a couple of hours the results from all the tests came back, oh and during this time, I had a nurse change. My new nurse kind of laughed at everything that was going on telling me that I had been dealt a bad hand of cards (with the preeclampsia, Jackson being breech, and now the heart rate issue). Anyways, I kept thinking that I would be able to leave soon, but then when we finally got the results (at about 2:30), my nurse called my Dr but my Dr was really busy and not able to look at the labs yet so she faxed them in. So more waiting. Finally, at about 4:00 the nurse comes back in and said that my Dr had looked at them and that everything looked alright, but that Jacksons heart rate had dropped twice during everything. It is usually around 130, but twice it was down to the 100s or so and one time it lasted for about 2 and a half minutes. So my nurse said that my Dr wanted to check my cervix and see if it is favorable so she could induce me that day, but if it wasn't then we would keep monitoring and if his heartrate stayed good then I would be sent back home on strict bedrest still, but if it dropped again then we may be talking about inducing. Anyways, she checked and I was only 50% effaced (where the cervix is thinned) and not dialated. Bummer Deal! So then I was laying on my side for another hour of monitoring. Well, his heart rate stayed up and so I was able to go home. Which at that point I was more than ready to do. It was about quarter to 6 by this time. I had been at the hospital since 10:30 that morning! That makes for a long day.
Well, so now I go back for a non stress test on Thursday and then I'll see my doctor on Friday. Lets hope that my cervix becomes more favorable so she can induce me. All these issues are not making it any easier to be waiting, but whatcha going to do? Evidently Jackson is just perfectly content staying. But today I am feeling better (other than a low back ache and hips hurting but I think thats expected of pregnancy). So onward we go!

2 comments:

Rick and Pierette Muffler said...

Hang in there Christina! We love you and sorry you are having these issues.

Jessica said...

Oh Girl! I am so sorry! The lower back pain could be prelabor pains (let's hope) and your hips hurting... I hope that Jackson comes soon it's all so very stressful, the anticipation! :) GOOD LUCK CHRISTINA!!!