Thursday, December 24, 2009

Great Grandpa Olson's Birthday

November 25 my great grandpa celebrated his 91st birthday. We went up to see him that day. When we got there he told us that he had three things for us to do. We ask him what they are and he looks at me and says, "I need you to change my sheets." Okay no big deal, I always change them for him. Then he looks at Andrew and says, "I need you to put in Junes picture show" (he is referring to the video that was put together for my great grandmas funeral). Thats all he says, so then we ask him what the third thing is. He says, pointing to Jackson, I need a big hug from him. For the first little bit Jackson was too busy wandering around and looking at everything like he does. But when we were getting to leave he went and gave grandpa a big hug. He put his head on his shoulder and patted his back. Here is a picture of the two of them.

Jackson and grandpa sure are becoming buddies. Since I stopped working, Jack and I try and go up at least one time during the week to see him. One week when we went up I needed to finish pruning the flowers in the backyard. I wanted to get it done before it snowed again because I knew it would never leave after that. Well, Jackson and grandpa stayed playing together. After awhile, Jack was starting to get tired and fussy so grandpa and him walked all the way to the back of the yard to come see me. It was so cute to see the two of them walking together holding hands. They came out just as I was finishing up. So I quickly finished and we all started to walk back. I was holding the rake, clippers, and pulling the garbage can so Jack was left to walk by himself with grandpa. Well, he wasnt too happy about that, so grandpa picked him up and carried him halfway back. Now, this doesnt sound like much, but my grandpa has had a really bad back for a long time and as he says, Jack is a ton of lead, and he has a big backyard. So for him to walk that far carrying Jack was quite the show of love. It was the cutest thing to see the two of them. Once he got half way and Jack had settled down, he set him down and took him by the hand and they walked the rest of the way together. It was one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. I dont know what it was, but for some reason seeing them together like that was just really touching.

No comments: