Sunday, March 21, 2010
Back on Oxygen
Well, on Friday, Kenadi was having a rough morning. Her nurse said no matter what he did she was just crying and unhappy. He gave her a dose of adavan to see if that would calm her down and it didnt. So then he gave her her morphine a little early. Well, we think with the combination of those two being given within a short time relaxed her so much she wasn't taking in as much oxygen. Needless to say she had to go back on oxygen. But let me tell you, its a very small amount. The resident dr was laughing at her yesterday because of how small of an amount it is. She is on 50 ml flow. He said he was surprised that that small of an amount is even making it to her lungs. So then we started teasing her that she just likes to have something on her face because she is so used to it. Anyways, we will hopefully be trying to wean her off of it and then she wont have to come home on it, but if she does it won't be the end of the world. Unfortunately the nurse that she has today and tomorrow during the day (we assume she'll have this same nurse tomorrow) is not the best in the world. She is much older and doesn't really like to try and see if she can come off of oxygen or eat more or anything like that. In fact, yesterday she was trying to convince me that I really did want to bring Kenadi home on oxygen. WHAT?! Who wants to have to take their kid home on oxygen? Especially considering every other nurse keeps telling me that if we can avoid taking her home on oxygen it would be better, because other wise you have a huge oxygen tank to deal with. Anyways, today I'll be watching her saturation closely and if I see that shes high satting for a couple hours Im asking that she turns it down. I think I have that right. Anyways, her nurse last night said that she thinks Kenadi might be agitated not because of the morphine but because shes a hungry girl! She said she fed her 70 ml (the most we had heard/seen her take was about 80 ml) then burped her and Kenadi fell asleep for a few minutes and then woke back up and was sucking really hard on the binki. So she heated up more milk and took another 20! That is 90 ml which is about 3 ounces! So she suggested that I breastfeed her today (granted that Kenadi is willing) and let her take in as much as she like. I hadn't been breastfeeding because I am slightly paranoid and wanted to know exactly how much Kenadi is getting to make sure she gets at least the minimum she needs to gain weight. Anyways, if we know that she will definitely eat enough it is worth a try to me and hopefully that will take the edge off of the morphine wean. The nurse also said that she did completely fine with the slight morphine wean that they did yesterday. She went from .38 every 12 hours to .34 so not very much at all. She is hoping that they will just change her morphine to PRN meaning as needed. So we will see what happens today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Poor kiddo...and I had to laugh at the bit about the needing things on her face....she's just use to all the accessories! You guys just need to let her know there are cute ones out there....
I know seriously! We tried to let her know. She is back off of oxygen. Yay!
I'm glad to hear she's back off the oxygen. Still faithfully watching for the updates. Looks like she's definitely headed in the right direction and so glad she's doing so well. So you'll take her home soon? She's sure beautiful!
Post a Comment