Monday, March 1, 2010

Kenadi Update

Okay, so surgery is scheduled for 8:15 tomorrow morning (of course this is subject to change, as everything is in the hospital, but she is on the schedule for then). All of her doctors and nurses are Super optimistic with how everything is going. The NICU director came up to me today and put his arm around me and asked how I was doing. He then told me that he is extremely happy with how well she is doing (they have actually had to turn her ventilator down because she has been doing some breathing on her own which is so great!) and that he thinks everything is going to go really well tomorrow. I joked with him that I was excited that she was finally having surgery and I didnt know if it was wrong to be excited. He said that I could be since in  her case she has to have it so he told me it was good that I was excited. So, we are anxious to have the surgery done and to know the extent of her hernia. They said it will take roughly 2 hours give or take (once again you just never know with these things). Oh, I should add that after her surgery she will be back to being very swollen and sedated. The nurse said that usually they are more "sick" for a good couple of days after surgery and then we start to see more improvement.

Kenadi was feeling really well tonight it seems. She woke up and was moving around and looking at us as we talked to her. She kept flinging her right arm back and it was like she was trying to get her ventilator out. The nurse said that as babies get feeling better they realize that there shouldnt be tubes down their throat or on them so they will sometimes try to move them. She said that it is quite possible that Kenadi is realizing that tubes do not belong in her throat so thats why shes keeps hitting them. It was pretty funny though because she would throw her arm back and would catch a finger around the little tubes and then kind of pull. She sure is FIESTY! She also loves to stretch her legs out as far as she can and then spread her toes. We decided the other night that she likes to kick her left leg off of her little bed so that it would be more on the cool side (kind of like how people sleep with their feet out of the covers). Well, here are a couple of pictures of her little bed area (her grandma and grandpa Trapp got her the eyeore and canada flag- the canada flag is a whole other story).



4 comments:

Mrs. Dan Brown said...

YAY for the surgery being tomorrow. Praying everything goes well and that it will be a speedy recovery (as speedy as it can be so she can be all better and go home).

Zimmer Mom and Pop said...

Glad that surgery is going to happen...just means she's closer to being home with you all. We will be praying for her and for all of you. I love seeing her eyes open...she's darling!

The Neilsen Family said...

Hey Christina,

I'm so glad she is improving. I'm glad you have been able to update us on your blog. Shes certainly a fighter! I wanted to tell you that before you had her I was prompted to put your name in the prayer roll at the temple. I wasn't sure why but followed the prompting. The Lord is always watching out for you and your family and works in mysterious ways.

I hope everything goes well with the surgery...your being watched over; and so is your beautiful little girl.

Kelly said...

What a beautiful little girl. Thanks for the regular posts. What great news! She's in my prayers this morning!